Thursday 3 February 2011

What A Pickle



Ah Yes, Mrs. Balls, the famous South African Chutney we all know and love.


I challenge you to find a larder in SA deprived of this tangy peach resin.


Although, I would never wish such a barren larder upon anyone, I could not shake the urge to concoct my own sumptuous preserve.


By no means was I wishing for my homemade jar to take the place of my loyal Mrs. Balls Chutney but merely to sit next to it on the shelf, as a supplement, just in case.


After hours of pouring myself over numerous cookbooks, magazines and food blogs and much deliberation, I eventually fabricated a recipe.


The backbone of a recipe, which I can tweak, as and when I please, according to the season, my mood or the state of my kitchen cupboards and this is how it goes…




1kg Cooking Apples/ Courgettes/ Peaches diced

1kg Tomatoes, diced

500g Rasins or Sultanas

500g soft brown sugar

400ml White wine vinegar

500g Onions chopped

3 Chilies, chopped finely

Good pinch of Maldon Salt

A few glugs of good Balsamic vinegar

(If using Apples, I add a few Teaspoons of Mild Curry Powder)

For the Spice bag or Bouquet Garni – if you will

6 Cloves

2 Teaspoons Black/Mixed Peppercorns

2 Teaspoons Coriander seeds

2 Bay Leaves




Combine all the ingredients in your biggest pot and bring slowly to the boil then simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally so as everything reduces nicely without sticking to the bottom!





When it is a nice thick consistency, leave it to cool slightly and decant into your sterilized jars and line your shelves with your homemade goodness. Now all you have to do is wait, a month or two, the longer the better to let all those flavours fuse.



Eat it with Relish!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Poppy
    Harry e mailed me your web sight It is FANTASTIC
    I want to send you pics of my new dog and france
    You look amazing
    Lots of love yvonne

    ReplyDelete